POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Sep 2008 14:00:21
Message: <48dfc635@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> You bought a computer - you use
>> it for posting to online forums.  You pay Shaw Cable, what, $22/month
>> maybe for 'net connectivity?  Or do you bundle and get basic cable
>> (another $32.95/month), or add phone service for another $20.95/month?
>>
>> That's an awful lot of money you spend on something as frivolous as
>> entertainment.  Seems to me that money would be better spent by donating
>> it (let's assume you bundle the first two lowest-cost services and spend
>> only about $55 before taxes per month) - that's $660/year you could be
>> donating to cancer research.
>
> Thank you for your very helpful calculations. I'll be sure to go offline and
> save my money. In a little over 15 million years, I will have thus saved
> enough money to donate an equal sum to medical research what LHC is costing.
>
> You are joking, right? Contrary to what you might have been led to believe,
> one man doesn't make a difference. Not that way anyway. Be sure to share
> your other bright schemes, however.

Well, see. I presumed that you expected everyone else to be good
Samaritans and follow suit.. Lets see 300,000,000 people * $660...
$198,000,000,000? See, if everyone just sat on a couch and stared at
walls, instead of "doing", anything, they would make up the cost of the
entire LHC project in one year! Mind, that isn't including the probably
trillions more spent on trips, gas, boats and other recreational
vehicles, etc. Its ingenious. We just figure that if you care so much
about this, *you* should be the one leading the charge. ;) lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();